Monday, January 02, 2012

My 7 New Year Resolutions for 2012

Hello 2012! :) It's New Year resolution time! For me, it's a time when I feel so optimistic, so energized that I can make sweeping declarations of what I will be doing starting this year. Hmm, come to think of it, since I am making this list late, these are my sweeping declarations of what I will be doing starting next week. I guess that is something I can work on, being on time. LOL

But I am getting ahead of my own list. Here are my fearless new year's resolution list for this year.
I promise I will keep mine realistic (photo from bengallagher.com)



7. Less pikon  
(sensitive to jokes)
I admit that I don't like it when a prank is played on me. Just yesterday, my sister played her prank successfully when she asked me to put my palm on top of a napkin piled with ketchup, telling me to feel how warm it is after she added the salt because of some chemical reaction. (On hindsight, why was I so gullible? Sorry, it was already 11 pm by that time, I failed to notice how fishy her proposition was. Note to self, salt does NOT make ketchup warm by some chemical reaction. Stupid, stupid, stupid.)

When my palm was right on top of the ketchup, she pushed it down so that my palm was like a chicken nugget dunked in ketchup.


After that happened, I gave her the evil eye so bad that she asked for the Mcdo crew to immediately give me some napkins.
My evil eye must have looked this bad to get that reaction from her (photo from 123RF.com)

I vow that starting next week, I will be less pikon. Promise.
See how my friends are still laughing while they "playfully" hit each other? I want to be just like that. Only not hit others.

6. Live a healthier lifestyle
It's not that I drink until I smell like chico (not that Chico from RX 93.1's TMR, whose show I lovelovelove. Oh BTW, their book is out, a must have for those extra long hours in the john teehee). Nor do I smoke like a chimney. But my choice of food includes fast food selections and my idea of an exercise is standing up because I cannot find the remote control.

So for 2012, I will start eating right. Proper meals will be served in the house of Spa Girl. I will start a food diary. The gym in our village will be used, it will no longer just be that place I pass by as I go to the convenience store to buy my favorite VCut.

To VCut, we had a great relationship, I will surely miss you after being my go-to junk food for the past 15 some years.
Vcut, I am serving you our divorce papers.
5. Keep track of expenses
My friend and former partner in crime (which we lovingly call our Non-Value-Adding Gay friend) posted a picture of his 2011 expenditure. So I say now that I will start this for 2012!

Doing this is will be a good way for me to know where my money went to so that if I will end up overspending in one unnecessary category, I can immediately react and cut back on that and increase the pie cut for savings instead.
I choose this instead of just saying to cut back on my nail expenses.

4. Learn how to park
I suck at parking. My family knows this, DTM knows this (although he is still supportive and will probably say after reading this that I know how to park) and I acknowledge it. This year, I will make an effort to really know how to park and not have to ask whoever is riding with me to get out of the car and assist me as I park all the freaking time.
At least this dude was able to park. (photo from TripAdvisor.com)

3. Write down goals for 2012
I need to have a balanced life. The past 5 years my life has been 12 hours work per workday, rest of the hours for all other things. I will make sure that will not happen this year.

I will write down all my personal, spiritual, community and professional goals so I can make sure that I will give the proper attention to each of these facets in my life.

Bryan Dyson, the former CEO of Coca Cola aptly says it here:
“Imagine life as a game in which you are juggling some five balls in the air. You name them – Work, Family, Health, Friends and Spirit and you’re keeping all of these in the air.
You will soon understand that work is a rubber ball. If you drop it, it will bounce back. But the other four balls – Family, Health, Friends and Spirit – are made of glass. If you drop one of these; they will be irrevocably scuffed, marked, nicked, damaged or even shattered. They will never be the same. You must understand that and strive for it."

Serious face for my serious point

2. Will not settle
One speech that really helped me take the leap this year to search for something that I really want to do is this Standford commencement address from Steve Jobs. Here are some excerpts from his speech that gave me the courage to take the road less traveled.
"I'm convinced that the only thing that kept me going was that I loved what I did. You've got to find what you love. And that is as true for your work as it is for your lovers. Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking. Don't settle. As with all matters of the heart, you'll know when you find it. And, like any great relationship, it just gets better and better as the years roll on. So keep looking until you find it. Don't settle."
"Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish."

(Aaand for some reason since I typed "courage" my mind kept on saying the Akazukin Chacha chant, so here is a picture so it will shut up)

"Let love, courage and hope... Magical Princess Holy Up!" Or, tagalized: "Pag-ibig, katatagan at pag-asa! Magical princess holy up!"

If you want to watch the whole speech:


1. Keep on being positive
If there is one thing that I learned from being a project manager, it is that issues happen and problems arise even if you spent oh-so-many hours preparing for the worst case. So for 2012, I promise myself that if there are issues, I will keep on moving forward, I will cut any losses and I will work on my next steps with all the positive attitude I can muster.
(photo from cartoonstock.com)
But of course, I will allow a Twitter rant every once in a while just so I can "release" my feelings before I act on things. :-)

You can follow me on Twitter here if you do not mind such rare rants.

What are YOUR new year resolutions for 2012?
Did you make a set or are going to play it by ear this year?

37 comments:

Leah. said...

Mine's simple.. I shared some sa blog ko. :) Kahinaan mo pala, nails. Sakin naman, SHOES! Damn.. nauubos ang pera sa sapatos. lol..

Happy new year! :)

Christia's World said...

Oo, lecheng nails yan. This year, pagpapahingahin ko sila *tries very hard not to buy that group buyin voucher for nail spa*

myrnz said...

Great new resolutions you have! we really have sets of goals in life and we have to do them and try all for our everyday life.

Have a great and blessed year 2012!

Christia's World said...

Thanks! Hope you have a good year too!

yuuki said...

haven't done mine, no time pa...but i have this pending bucket list that i want to really start this 2012...

not much into nails...but more into collectibles...

Christia's World said...

Wow, a bucket list.... care to share?

tatess said...

i have no new years resolution.i guess i'm too lazy to think of what to improve for the new year. I will probably worry less ,masyado kasi akong palaisip.

isp101 said...

Nice list! Since, wala sa list yung sa akin, ako, I will need to lose weight, hehehe! Happy New Year! =)

Ako Tungaw said...

ako, parang ayaw kong gumawa ng new years resolution, takot akong aminin na di ko magagawa eh hihihi...

Bien Nonoy said...

good luck with your new year's resolutions.

Mei said...

I don't like writing down new year's resolution, instead I write my goals/plans for 2012, which I saw that is included to your new year's resolution. I wish you luck on applying those resolutions you listed. Happy New Year!

sionee said...

I gave up with the nail thing coz mine's really damaged na. haha But I like your new year's resolution. Good luck to you dear! :)God bless!

Mrs. Kolca said...

Well at least, you have a resolution. Me? I don't think I'll post one. Hehe! Katamad eh, basta alam ko naman ang goals ko.

joy said...

No resolutions for me :) Thy will be done :)

c5 @ battlingasthma.info said...

go for Soyami instead of V-Cut! Healthy! (In no way I am getting paid by Soyami.)

Ning Magcauaus said...

i still have a lot in my list from 2011 and i'm carrying it over to my 2012, but it is really satisfying to look back at them and see those red checks and marks, it's nice to have a resolution and stick with them hehehe.

micheatsandshops said...

Hahahahaha laughing at the expenses pie chart because I can soooo relate! I MUST SAVE THIS YEAR!!! Gah!

Kat said...

That's a great list. Good luck! Happy New Year!

Sining Factory said...

I can't blame you if you like V-cut. I so love it too. LOL. Well, I wish you all the best this 2012. Hope everything will be ok and matupad lahat ng resolutions mo. :)

Sumi Go said...

I don't have a new year's resolution list, but I have some goals in mind.. :) More on saving up, getting and maintaining a 24 waistline, and learning how to drive a car.

Anyway, have a wonderful 2012! :)

alwin said...

Good luck! I wish you well with your resolutions this year. One tip on being sensitive, be aware what makes become one and be guarded when you're with people who causes you reason to be pikon. Growing up I'm very sensitive. Then I grew old enough to realize it's not healthy, thus I made a thorough self-examination and learned how to control my emotions. It's a work in progress so dont be too hard on your self. :-)

Angela Ricardo said...

Good luck with your resolution! All the best to you and your blog. Happy 2012.

koreandoll | miss angel

Jhackie said...

your #1 resolution is a bit funny ha :))
be sure to accomplish that , and don't forget to smile all the time

Julie. -- said...

I have some but I dont really call it New Year's resolution.. It's more on "I can do this". I hope you'll be able to fulfill everything. Good luck.

Jhen said...

I had fun reading your post!!! especially your top 2 new year's resolution! I saw Steve Jobs' speech and love it! As for Akasukin Chacha that made my night! it's definitely a favorite together with Sailor Moon, Magic Knight Rayearth, Voltron, Ninja Robots and Wedding Peach ^_^

suggestion instead of using Twitter for your rants, may i suggest keep a notepad where you can tear whatever frustration you had and burn it (or just put it to shreds). then in your twitter write something positive :)

May said...

Lecheng nails na yan hahaha...I lurrrve getting my nails done, as in! Yoko na mag resolution... though I am sure I can't resist and will eventually post them haha. Bitter lang talaga ako dahil hindi ko lang nakayanan makipahiwalay sa mga pinsan ni VCut na si Mr. Chips at Pringles. Di bale, masaya naman kami at binawi ang divorce. :P

The Psalmist said...

Yes i like the 1st be positive. Good Luck and More Power!


God Bless!

how great thou art

FranCis

Ion Gonzaga said...

your resolutions are also more like guidelines on how you can attract positive things and maintain doing good. that's great. they are intangibles actually. learn how to park FTW! :-)

if you'll be able to observe them strictly, indeed greater things will happen to you. happy new year - how about a visionboard for the list? look at my post about it :-)

Miss `Chievous said...

Hope you can stay by your resolutions! :)

I made my 2012 guidelines too. :) I don't get to spend a lot on nails because I prefer doing my mani/pedi on my own. I don't want other people to touch em.

Hehe. :) Have a happy 2012!

Christia's World said...

@c5 - hehe sige let me check the calorie content :)

@micheatshops - imagine I don't even have a pie slice for SAVINGS!

@24 waistline?! I think the last time I was 24 was when I was in high school

@alwin - thanks for the tip!

@jhen - I am glad you enjoyed it, make sure to visit next time, ayt? or better yet, give that subscribe button some love and hit it :)
Magic Knight Rayearth theme song is now in my head...
"Kami'y.... narito.... asahan niyong... magtatanggol..." LOL

@May -isa pa yang si cousin Pringles. kahit lumiit na lalagyan nila love ko pa rin yan. hahaha

@ion - oh yes, parking tor the win! haha
Will check out your vision board post :) I am also thinking of making that.

ralph said...

i hope you'll be successful with your new year's resolution... may this year be fruitful to you... happy 2012... Yahweh bless.

Jonathan said...

These are all going to be very difficult to live by, but I do hope you will be able to live up to all of them. Remember, number 1 is the most important. When shit happens, remember to stay positive

Steffie said...

Great resolutions! But i do have one suggestion: make more specific goals so that they don't seem too abstract and you are sure to follow them. :)

darkpink2009 said...

Good luck sis.., aprehas tayo, i will track my expenses and save na for 2012.. Aja!

Christia's World said...

@steffie - will be as detailed as I can be in my goals :)

Jerica said...

Hi Christia, just had the time to read your blog again, been busy lately at work (hay!). I sooo love this article, it's full of positivity!! =) Have a lovely sunday!

Christia's World said...

^cai, thanks for dropping by :) hope all is well back in the office! aja!

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a message and commenting. You get +1 experience point in life per comment left in this blog, didja know that?!

P.S. Please DO NOT leave links or htmls in your comments

Share this to the WORLD!