Friday, December 09, 2011

Top 7 Signs Of Getting Old

I just watched an interesting rerun of How I Met Your Mother.  Ted made a list for Barney challenging him to do things they did when they were young. Ted bets that he, Barney, could no longer do them all because Barney is, and I quote from the episode, "too old for this stuff."

Barney and Ted shaking on the challenge (Image from sharetv.org)














This got me to thinking about how I am also "too old for some stuff". Thus I present to everyone my top 7 signs of getting old.



7. "Remember when..." syndrome
You know you are getting old when 80% of your senteces start with "remember when" as if you are the eternal narrator for flash backs.
I "rememeber when" I met up with my high school buddies Super Friendest, Gossip Girl and Super Boink (sexy version). Althrough out the night, we kept on reminiscing how funny our teachers were (we had a teacher in Math that held her chalk in such a way that she seemed to be giving us the finger as she taught us the algebraic equation and another one in Computer class that said to type sped to enter the typing test program when apparently she wanted us to type in "speed") and how gross my hair was back then (I had horribly short and curly hair that will not cooperate).
Why can't I enter?!




6. Planking? Owling?
You no longer understand why kids nowadays do what they do. I even heard of something called "cone-ing" wherein kids order an ice cream cone and instead of holding it at the cone side like normal people do, they grab it by the ice cream scoop.
Why. The. Frack?
I think the silly fads of my time made a lot more sense than today's. Like when I was in grade school, we kept virtual pets - "tamagotchi." These were digital pets that you had to feed and play with or else they die of hunger or sadness. If they do die, you have to press the reset button using a pin and you start over with an egg as a pet. I called mine Kapuchichibelles and I loved him/her (I kept on changing the gender each time it died) dearly.
Yes I remember, my dear tamagotchi very well... I loved him/ her as much as I loved my pogs.
Pick up my poop! - tamagotchi (Image from Wikipedia)











5. Wedding Bells and Baby Rattles
Note: Boys, er men, please skip this part. You do not want to read this part.

You are in a point where having a boyfriend is no longer enough and your family is pestering you with this question: "When are you getting married?" To which I always want to ask: "Why are you old and nosy?"
Or, you are married and they are asking you and your hubby: "When are you guys having a baby?" To which I suggest you answer, "When you die and leave us your promised inheritance, nosy old bat."

4. Payday is bills day
I "remember when" I was young and I was getting my weekly allowance, I felt giddy with excitement because I was going to spend it for fun things, like going out with friends.  Ah, allowance...
However, as an adult, the big bad bills always kill your smile during pay day.
When your pay comes, your wallet does not even gets to taste that sweet, sweet paper bill. No siree, the house ammortization and car insurance payments get there first, followed by  cellphone, cable, internet, credit cards, food, water, electricity and so on. And this list is longer if you have kids.
Bills payment hierarchy for a nailaholic











3. Siesta, how I miss thee.
"Remember when" you were young and your mom or whoever was taking care of you made sure that during the afternoon, right after Eat Bulaga, you had your afternoon nap? Then remember how she would scare you into sleeping by saying kids that do not have their afternoon siesta do not grow tall?
I miss that.

2. You become the Grinch
You now see Christmas for what it really is, an expensive little holiday that cuts a huge hole in your pocket. Instead of getting gifts, you are now in charge of giving gifts. And, to add on to the family members that you have to buy for, you now have godchildren that assume that you are a fountain full of crisp, fresh-off-the-bank, cash like some millionaire with a monocle.

But I have no more crisp 20 pesos to give. (Image from geekstateblog.com)



















And the top sign that you are old is...

1. You can no longer party
When I was in college, I used to go out night, partying and drinking my liver dead until 2 am. But I can still get up, all bright eyed, for a class at 8 am. This happened frequently on weekends (Note: If my sisters are reading this: Do not drink. Drinking makes you dizzy and vomit. Be good. Love, ate.)
Now, I hesitate to drink even on Saturdays because I know I will have to nurse a massive headache the whole Sunday.
This is the nasty truth friends. When you know you can no longer pull an all nighter of drinking, you are getting old. Or, you still go to parties but all you can think about is your stretchy pants and that bucket of chicken waiting for you at home.
Too... much... partying...















What are YOUR top signs of getting old?

53 comments:

Sumi Go said...

I don't consider myself too old yet, but this post is just so true! Whenever I'm with my high school friends, we would look back and start our sentences with "Remember when..." And I also can't understand fads these days.. XD But I guess my ultimate sign of getting old is instead of saving up for what gadget or kikay thing to buy when I get a hold of my moolah, I'm now thinking how to earn and save more for my future family.. >.<

Christia's World said...

Agree with you there Sumi. I used to be obsessed in owning the latest thingamabob but now, I'd think twice before spending, would rather save up so I can open up my business...

Kat said...

I enjoyed this post. I am harnessing all self-control I can muster to prevent myself from writing "I can relate". Boom. Self-control fail. Haha! ;)

Christia's World said...

Don't worry, no judgment here. :) Relate-away!

ralph said...

hope when we can still do the stuff we want to do until we grow old... wishful thinking... Yahweh bless

Christia's World said...

We still can methinks... It's just that its now coupled with aching muscles after. LOL. Salon Pas anyone?

Travel on a shoestring said...

So true! Geez! I am getting so old! I now use omega pain killer and salompas when I walk for five hours.

Christia's World said...

I hear ya. And your friends get to tease you because they can smell you from a mile away. :)

Gil Camporazo said...

I'm already a senior citizen. I may be having trouble sometime in remembering things. But when I got a clue I could remember everything from head to toe.

Christia's World said...

Wow sir, my hats off to you! Even if my beau prompts me on an event that I already forgot, nothing rushes back.

Herbert said...

They are indeed signs that a person is getting old.. I guess younger people or most people tend to forgot things especially BILLS.. Bills are such a pain in the *** .. LOL

Christia's World said...

I have an Excel spreadsheet with my bills on it and an alarm on my phone so I won't forget. :p

kRyStLe said...

Payday is bills day! ^_^

Jyppe A. Quidores said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MovieDoBiDo said...

I nervously read through all the signs and I am proud to say I'm safe to this. LOL....

Christia's World said...

@krystle - IKR!
@Jyppe - Wow! If that were me, I'd need a day just to chill.
@moviedobido - Even the bills section? Good for you! How old are you?

Jyppe A. Quidores said...

Hi everyone, I'll be joining party tonight and tommorow night. Next week we will also be having costume party and next to that are the series of Christmas parties. How about you? Haha! (Just kidding.)

It's good know these signs of getting old. Anyway, everyone of us will be going through this stage of life if God permit.
______
How To Take Photos from The Creativity Window

Xy-Za Y. said...

ahahahah that's bulls eye right there! Lols

I just hate that "when are you gonna marry" thing... as if it's graduation that i have to finish on time and with flying colors? lols... Love this post!

Christia's World said...

Oh yes. That is why at times I do not like going to family reunions anymore. Death by awkward social gatherings.
Glad you enjoyed it :)

yuuki said...

i think im getting old! i almost agreed to all...what a bummer...

btw, love Barney from How I Met Your Mother (not the purple barney)...

Julie. -- said...

getting older is inevitable but it doesn't mean we have to stop having fun right? It's just a matter of how you live your life.. But reading all these signs, I can't help but wonder where did all my 30 years go.. hehe!

Christia's World said...

@yuuki - The BARNACLE! Oh yes, I heart him too. :) More than Ted actually.
@juli - Oh no, of course not. Just means we have a different definition of fun now. Which for me always involves my stretchy pants.

Matsumoto said...

Oh my god! You just wrote my life in this post! even the way that certain teacher held the chalk! Oh, I tell my kids about the growing up too. °_^ love this post, ayun may fb share button... :D

Christia's World said...

Dahil jan, I now dub thee Matsumoto as poster of the morning! If only I had the resources I will be sending you a big bag of jellybeans. Instead, here's some cyber THUMBS UP for yah.

*PS: Good thing my mom, who was also a teacher way way waaay back, does not hold the chalk that way.

joy said...

ahaha, nasapol ako, well i am already at the prime of my life and i tend to forget things already, the reason why i need to list them down like
"to dos for the day"

Christia's World said...

Thank heavens for to do lists! :) I keep mine in my phone, too clunky organizers for me eh.

tatess said...

I keep forgeting everything .What i don't want is my son always telling me to color my hair, buy some lotion or any cosmetics to put on my face .The other day he put a phamplete inside my purse entitled"how to look younger" .when I asked what is this all about.he laughed and said to do it.Bills payment is really a part of aging process.

Christia's World said...

I think it is actually sweet that he thinks you need to take care of yourself more :)

isp101 said...

I often forget things, hopefully, it's not Alzheimer's disease, hehehe! I think I'm not that old, I just celebrated my 30th birthday a week ago, but, I'm seeing myself getting there, hehehe! Nice, Christia! Have a blessed day! =)

Christia's World said...

Thanks :) Although I'm only in my 20's I feel so old. Is this what they meant by old soul?

LOL Or maybe I just have a lazy a$$...

michi said...

i can relate on #7, 4 and 2. =)

Sining Factory said...

Yes, I am not old yet! Hahahaha. Well I am on my way on getting older. Hahaha. I cant party much nowadays unlike when I was in college, partying every friday and saturday is a must. lol

Jonathan said...

HAHA. I can't relate. I'm still 19 so..... But I do have my "Remember when" moments. Usually when I go out and drink with friends so that we can laugh about it.

kay said...

Frack. Nakarelate ako sa lahat hahahahahaha

chrisair said...

oh my this means I am getting old though I still know planking for work out actually not the one on FB or twitter, but cone-ing lol why they do that.

chrisair said...

like you on fb, follow on twitter please follow back and twit me, I am practicing it, mwah

Hazel said...

My spinal column is not functioning as it used to...lol! - that's my top sign of getting old. And no more Hard Rock nites, I mean I still go once in awhile but make sure I get back home as early as 11pm or 12 midnight, and no more booze.

lexxuz|theiliganinquisitor said...

The 7 signs of getting old! gosh....nakakrelate ako...about the siesta time :) no matter how my mother scares me, ayoko talagang matulog but now na gusto ko, wala ng oras para dun...madaming undone work :( na dapat unahin kaysa magsiesta. weird life isn't it?

Ivan Stewart Saldajeno said...

When I was a child, I liked parties. Now, however, at 23, I even get bored at the grandest of the parties.

promking said...

i remember this episode of HIMYM.

HIMYM is a great series. good thing Barney's half brother is black which prevents the show from being flagged as a racist show.

Stef said...

Haha! I can actually relate in most signs but I still feel young at heart. I know I can still do a lot of those stuff young ones do but I just would not do it and sometimes don't want to. =)

Christia's World said...

@michi - haha, at least not all.
@Sining Factory - Good for you dear. :)
@Jonathan - Ah to be 19... When everything is right up there for you to grasp.
@Kay - Don't worry, secret lang natin na nakakarelate ka.
@chrisair - My sisters oddly find cone-ning funny
@Hazel - Good thing my spine is still a-OK. If that starts to happen, I will make part 2 of this article.
@lexxuz- Sometimes I pretend to sleep. After an hour I will pretend to wake up. Does not fool my mom.
@Ivan - Yes, grandest of parties :)
@promking - I am not sure though why HIMYM will be flagged as a racist without him (Wayne who I love in Whose Line is it Anyway)
@Stef - Excatly. I still can go out, more than ever now that I choose to be a bum, but my lazy fat ass chooses to be onbe with the couch

kindlehearts.com said...

hahahahaha! not only that..
here's more:
metabolism is sooooo slow..
grey hair....
wrinkles...
waaaahh

Jose said...

I am not realy a fan of How I met Your Mother, but this article simple rocks...Relate na relate :)

Mei said...

Cool! You watch HIMYM din pala. Hehe. I watched that episodes and super nakakatawa si Barney hahaha IN the end, they both had realizations about the things they should be doing.

c5 @ arawatgabi.info said...

whoa...I'm really getting old! (except for the grinch part) :P

iamreyrusty said...

Great! It reminds me of something!

Christia's World said...

@kindlehearts - oh yes I forgot all about my dear friend that has slowed down these past few years... Metabolism. I may freak out on my first wrinkle
@jose - thanks :)
@Mei - oh yes, I am a fan of HIMYM even if there is about 0% on Ted talking about how he finally met the mother. LOL. Sandwhich?
@c5 - pwedeng mamasko then with you? :p
@iamreyrusty - of what?

Great Getaways said...

I'll be sharing this with my man. He'll be totally guilty about this. hahahaha..

But I won't deny, I have some of the signs too. Gosh!

Christia's World said...

Don't worry I am not that old naman. Baka lazy fat@ss lang talaga.

Stef said...

I know I'm getting old because I've always been skinny... until now. I'm of normal weight now, but my gut is like some sort of "age baggage". Ayayay.

By the way, thanks for visiting my blog! I like how you write. :)

Vayie said...

i love this blog Christia :)

Christia's World said...

@stef - aw geezshucks thanks! :)
@vayie - kapatid traffic ah! hahaha kada post ko sa facebook, boom share! :) mwah

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a message and commenting. You get +1 experience point in life per comment left in this blog, didja know that?!

P.S. Please DO NOT leave links or htmls in your comments

Share this to the WORLD!