Monday, November 28, 2011

The Eldest Speaks

I know I was supposed to blog the part 2 of my How to Move Out series but life is getting in the way. So I am going to write about the one thing we all rebelled from when we were teenagers and leaned on to as we grew up -- our family.

I am not the closest person to my sisters. Why?

Reason 1: I've been living away from them for the better part of a decade now. Granted that I still see them, I may go home every other month and we still spend time together during some of the important events like birthdays, graduations, first menstrual cycles, pneumonia outbreaks, etc.
I am the eldest of 4 kids and I don't even consider myself as the eldest in our family. Its the my sister who is 6 years younger than me that I call ate, given that she is the adult left at home (our parents are overseas, story on this on another post).

Reason 2:  I have a huge age gap from them. I am older by 12 years to my youngest sister. To prove a point of how much older I am to my sisters, here are some scenarios:
- when my youngest sister's classmates go to our house and they see my college graduation picture, they tell my sister "Wow, your mom is pretty."
- when my sisters are talking about the latest internet meme, like planking or cone-ing, I fail to get what is so funny about them. In my mind, all I can think of  is, "Why waste a perfectly good scoop of chocolate cookie dough ice cream!" or "Why lie face down on a busy pedestrian lane?"

This physical and generation gap should make me feel a sort of disconnect to them, right? But the curious thing is, I don't. In a world where everything is temporary, from Facebook status messages that change every hour ("Is having chicken for lunch, yey!" to "Failed my accounting long test. Sad.") to big corporations being taken over with the blink of an eye, we sometimes forget that there are some things that will never, ever change. Like the strong bond between siblings.

I guess what I am trying to say, as long and winding as my post is (I do have a point, I am sleep deprived please bear with me), is that our innate connection with our siblings is something that we can rely on come hell or high water.

But sometimes, with the distance separating us, I always forget to thank them for everything that we've been through.

So to my sisters, if you are reading this, Ate Kris loves you like mad ,with her magical fingers and everything.

Even if she does not come home every weekend or is cranky for no apparent reason at all like she has seasonal menopause bouts.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a message and commenting. You get +1 experience point in life per comment left in this blog, didja know that?!

P.S. Please DO NOT leave links or htmls in your comments

Share this to the WORLD!